Sunday, March 22, 2015

Revisiting Hinulugang Taktak

My mom wanted to go somewhere last Sunday. But because we had little time after the church service and the usual Sunday malling, we decided to go up Antipolo. Hinulugang Taktak was the decided upon destination.

Ever since I was a child, I've been familiar with the song Tayo Na Sa Antipolo, where Hinulugang Taktak was mentioned many times. But honestly, I've never been there. My mom though said they've brought me there as a child, but I really don't remember. Anyway, I've been hearing about how poorly maintained it's been so I wasn't looking forward to visiting. I googled about it, though and learned that it's been declared National Park a few years back and that it's been rehabilitated and managed well again.

Trek to Antipolo we went Sunday afternoon. It's only a few minute-drive from Ortigas, but I don't think public transportation can access this road leading to the famous waterfall.

There is no entrance fee. Guests just need to register at the gate, including name address and age. There are quite a few steep steps that senior citizens might not find comfortable. There's a ramp though but it's quite steep and narrow as well.


For my daughter to see a real waterfall for the first time was momentous. She even asked it it's God-made or man-made.



Now I would say the gushing of the water and the sound of it MUST be wonderful... however, the malansa smell somehow ruins the experience. We did have our photos taken with the waterfall as the background, but we were hurrying to get done with the pictorial because the stench somehow gets into our tummies.

There's an adult and kiddie pool that, I may say looks nice and clean. But because it's open to the public, it can it get too crowded and well, "not clean" right away. There are no vendors inside except for the few chips being sold at the gate. There's an ice cream vendor at the entrance and another lady who sells suman and cashew nuts.

For those who want to stay longer have a picnic, there are a lot of cottages and areas where you can place your mats to relax. All in all, our visit didn't quite last long. It only took us less than an hour for strolling and picture taking.

To complete the experience, we had halo-halo in Antipolo proper and bought suman and roasted cashew nuts.

No comments: