Saturday, September 03, 2005

For A Change

I never thought planning for a wedding could be this tedious! Oh, don’t misinterpret me. It’s fun and exciting. But it challenges my organization and time management skills! And I thought I’m a sucker of details… kelangan pa palang dagdagan yun especially when you’re in the thick of it all!

You see, as I always tell my friends, I thought planning for a wedding is just about gown fitting. Hindi pala! That was just 1% of it! Movies about weddings only show the fab side of it. Not the designing of the invites, the traveling back and forth to have the invites changed, and that means not only the design changes, but also spellings, fonts, shades, size, positioning of the names, order and title of principal sponsors, etc.

Then there’s the gown fitting alright. There’s the measurement-taking, the first fitting, second fitting, third fitting, accompanying the entourage to their measurements-taking, their first fitting, meeting re the beadwork on the gown, meeting re the headdress, whew!

Another madugo part of it is the meetings with the caterer. In our case, we had two food tastings. And meetings that I no longer remember how many na so far. Meetings about the linen, the table runners, the shade of ribbons around the guest tables, the flowers for the gazebo, the centerpieces, the color of candles alongside the glass centerpieces, the design of the cake, the flavor of the cake, the inclusions in the sound system, the floorplan, where to place the buffet tables, where to place the iron backdrop, etc etc etc.

Then there’s the hunt for the right ribbons for the invites. The hunt for PS gifts, hunt for the boxes for the PS gifts, hunt for the ribbons for the PS gifts, hunt for the perfect pair of shoes, hunt for the Groom’s barong, and that includes the right fabric, the right embroidery, the right fit.

Music for the event is another area that needed meticulous attention. First you have to choose who your musician will be. Will a band sound better than a quartet? Can the church keyboardist render an equally excellent performance as a professional musical group? Once the instrumentalist is chosen, the singers have to be carefully chosen, too. Also, do they know each other? Do they work well with each other? Do they have common time for the rehearsals? What will the songs be? Do I want a joyful ambience or a more classical theme will be more enchanting? Oh! The to-do list just seem endless!

I’m just glad that yesterday started the official beginning of my coordinator’s coordinating for my wedding. It’s a relief to somehow turn over the contracts to her yesterday. It’s a relief to hear that we’d be going together to the caterer sometime this month for the contract signing. It’s a relief that we’d be going to Intramuros for ocular and discuss the crowd control.

Yesterday’s meeting with Clarice (my dear coordinator) was like a process. Maybe a process for her part coz she had to enumerate and know what I and Romy have accomplished so far. For me, it was a process, too! A process of letting go. It all started when Clarice adviced me not to wear a watch on my wedding day. Huwaaat? Me, Abi-Obssessive-Complusive-Lam not wearing a watch?!?! Hindi ko yata kaya yon! Going through the day without knowing the time? I don’t remember a waking moment in my life that I don’t have a watch or a clock in sight! But Clarice said, kami nang bahala dun! Matataranta ka lang kapag alam mo ang oras. Whoa! Boy she’s right! A large part of me wants to plead and cheat by planning to put my watch and celphone inside my bride’s pouch. But she’s right, trabaho na ng coordinators to make sure we start on time, everybody’s arrived, that we’re right on target, that the sequencing of the programme is followed, etc.

At one point during the meeting, too, as she was listing down the details for the processional and what will happen during the reception, I asked her, “Bibigyan mo rin ako ng copy niyan, right?” She smiled and said, “Hindi.” Kasi nga naman daw, diba? It’s my wedding and I should just enjoy myself! Kaya nga may coordinators kasi sila na ang bahala sa flow on the wedding day mismo. I must admit, my hand was itching to jot down what we were discussing. Well, yeah, aamin na ako… may mga naisulat din ako nang pasimple, kahit she said I should not bother myself as to who walks first during the processional and who’s next, etc.

Oh well, this is new to me. And I must say it’s a welcome treat. To have someone doing things for me. I’m not used to it, really! I’ve always been the one listing and implementing. I need to accept that I have coordinators. At least for the next 2 ½ months. I better enjoy this!

No comments: