Sunday, January 25, 2015

5 Ways to Avoid the Morning Rush

Moms of school-age children will agree that the hour… or for some, the less than an hour of preparations before going to school is always the most stressful part of our daily routine. The moment we have to wake our kids up, may I say is one of the most challenging. Who would want to be disturbed from one’s sweet sleep anyways?

In our home, my alarm goes off at 5:45am, but I usually press the snooze button twice. So realistically, I get up at 6:15am. I go downstairs to check the preparations our maid has done, then I fix my daughter’s school lunch and snack, then I go back to the room to wake up my child. I am blessed to have a reliable maid who does most of the work in the morning but I see to it that every night, before I sleep, I write down everything she needs to do. From what to cook for breakfast, to where to find the juice tumbler my daughter prefers to bring for that particular day. I make my child wake up at 6:30 am, and am I glad that it only takes a couple of minutes for her to get out from the bed.

So anyway, coming up with this smooth routine resulted from hits and misses in the past. But I am happy that we’ve been stress-free for some time now.

Before going to sleep the night before, here are the things I do:

1. Make sure all my child’s homework, to-do’s and to-bring’s to school are all ready for the next day.

2. Plan what to wear. School uniform for Monday and Tuesday as well as Thursday, Girl Scouts uniform for Wednesday and PE uniform for Friday. I make sure the maid already knows what shoes, accessories and socks go with those specific uniforms. The Girl Scouts uniform come with badges, pins, a cap, so those should be ready in the living room where my daughter dresses up every morning.


3. Plan what to cook for breakfast, snacks and lunch. As I said earlier, the maid does the leg work, I write the instructions. Some days when the maid goes to school (she attends highschool classes once a week), I instruct her to prepare everything she can before leaving early in the morning, then I do the packing. My husband brings breakfast and lunch to work so those are also in my daily instructions.

4. In our case, we don’t turn on the television during school days. Or at least in the morning before my daughter goes to school. Television stalls her and slows down the way she eats, moves and dresses up. It only took me one morning two years ago when she was only in Kinder and that’s it. I declared a no-TV policy on school mornings.

5. My daughter eats very slowly thus I make her take a bath first before breakfast. This way, she becomes alert and is more awake when it’s time for her first meal. I can even put on her socks and fix her hair while she eats.

There. With this kind of routine that we’ve been doing for the past couple of years already, mornings in our home aren’t as stressful as in other households. I hope you build the perfect routine that’s best for your family, too. 

Happy Mornings!

No comments: