Sunday, January 25, 2015

5 Ways to Stick To Your Grocery List (and avoid over-spending!)

I must admit, I very often overspend during grocery shopping. I love going through all the shelves and checking out new products and reading labels and comparing and being intrigued with nice packaging.
Groceries, like bookstores and thrift shops are my happy places. I always look forward to going to the supermarket, even if it is only to buy a bottle of banana catsup.

But then, because I love grocery shopping so much, I tend to overstay and therefore, overspend. I try to stick to my budget, and for many months now, I can say that I have succeeded, most of the time. So what are the things I have done differently resulting to my no longer spending more than I have planned?

1. Write a grocery list. If you are already familiar with the lay-out of the supermarket you frequent, try to write down your items according to the supermarket lay-out. I mean, if upon entering the supermarket, the first shelf you’ll see is the canned goods section, list all the canned goods you need to buy first. If the next shelf you’re going to find is the condiments and cooking supplies section, write down the stuff from those shelves that you need. This way, you don’t have to go back and forth and be tempted to loiter in those shelves and alleys you don’t need anything from.

2. Take note of the brands. Frequent grocers like me, most often than not, are already familiar which brands offer quality but are less expensive. Sometimes, though, it does not necessarily mean that if something is less expensive, it is already the better choice. Be discerning of the reputation, pricing and size of the product you are buying. Be wary and discerning of marketing strategies, too. Do not be tempted to try a new product just because its TV ad and jingle are so entertaining.

3. If you only have a few items you intend to buy for that day, opt for the shopping basket instead of the pushcart. This way, you will not be pressured to fill your cart with unnecessary purchases.

4. For those who are trying to make the healthier choice when it comes to grocery shopping, I suggest head for the fresh produce section first. Ever since I have become more conscious with what my family eats, this is what I do. I buy the veggies and the fruits and the chicken and other meat products first. By the time I have rolled my pushcart towards the middle of the grocery, where the dry goods are, either I am already tired, or my mind tells me I have reached the budget limit for that day. So the tendency is I just buy the very essentials in the dry goods, then I head for the counter and pay. This way, I have walked away from the temptation to overspend, plus I have chosen the healthier path for my family, too.

5. During days that I am on a tight budget, I prefer not to bring my daughter along when I go buy our grocery supplies. I am able to discipline myself more when I am not with her, because kids would always want this cookie and that bag of chips, these candies and those mallows… most of which are not important and necessary. I also find grocery shopping with my husband more helpful because I tend to buy only the necessities whenever he’s around. 


No comments: