Monday, February 14, 2005

It Happened To Me!

As first entry to this newly-formed blog, let me give you the backstory.

I am a scriptwriter by profession. I have written more or less 300 scripts. Mostly for television, as I sometimes write videos, plays, musicals, live skits, etc. Mostly love related – from teeny bopper light romance to heavy adult drama. And although I am currently writing a fantasy-adventure show, I still believe a major engine of said show is the romance angle.

So you see, I’ve read and written a lot of those mushy stuff, love quotes, even pakilig devices and styles through these years. And although I’ve always longed for a love story of my own, I went through times when there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. If there is a quotation that says, “Always the bridesmaid, never the bride,” in my case it was more of an “Always the writer, never the lead actress,” or “Always the author, never the protagonist.”

I was always weaving up romantic, uber kilig stories for my characters. I was always planning and orchestrating and writing about how their men swept them off their feet, how they met someone who eventually will turn out to be their destiny, how a friend ended up admitting his feelings for the girl, how despite the odds two hearts still win over the trials, how after so much pain and frustration two unsuspecting characters found true love in each other’s arms. In short, I was not only writing these characters, but I was also playing God to them. I determine where and when and how their paths would come across each other. I determine when the divine appointment takes place, I determine when they’ll meet again, I determine what problems they’ll face and I provide solutions to those problems. I orchestrate complications so life wont be so easy for them, so that they’ll learn to appreciate it when peace and joy floods over their love. I cook up both happy and painful events and situations. I place plots and subplots to complicate their life even more. I write down a third party, a returning ex, a white lie here and there, an unapproving parent, a financial problem, a cause for jealousy, a song that reminds them of a special memory, a loveletter they thought was long thrown away, a photograph that opens the floodgates of either pain or exuberance, and the list goes on and on. As I said, I play God to them. It’s fun. I’m telling you, it really is! Aside from doing what I love to do, which is writing and story-telling, I get to earn and enjoy the fruit of my labor.

But just the same, it crosses my mind… when will my turn be? When will God orchestrate things so that I will someday bump into the guy who will eventually be my man? When will my divine appointment be? Or has it already happened but the guy still doesn’t have the guts to speak up? Or am I like some of my characters who are just meant to be supporting cast to my main ensemble, therefore they need not end up with anyone after all? Y’know, the very important and every-present “best friend” role. Always giving advice, never needing one. The listening ear, the shoulder to cry on, the sounding board. I subconsciously ask, am I just the sounding board? Or will I ever get to be the love interest?

So anyway, I was like that after I broke up with my 5-year relationship with my college boyfriend 8 years ago. I was like that until late November of last year. I was like that until I knew that I am, once again, after a very long time… in love!

You see, I’ve known my Romeo since 3 years ago. I instantly felt respect and fondness of him when we started our friendship. But the romance angle just couldn’t fit into my mind’s eye. Or maybe I was just pushing it away, denying the possibility of it. Our communication went on and off for three years. At first we were exchanging emails like 5 times a day. After maybe a month or so, we drifted apart. I was crushing on someone else then, and the idea that Romy might be the one just didn’t make it into my system. After some time, my feelings for my then crush (or crushes) wavered. It wasn’t a strong and serious liking anyway.

Until Romy made his presence felt again early last year. But since I was not interested, I kept saying that I was busy each time he asks for a “gimik.” You see, I think he, too was afraid of making it sound so lovey-dovey, so he never used the term “date.” In late July, after some prodding from my college friend Chato, I finally agreed to go out with Romy. The “gimik” went fine, but it took a month and a half before he asked me out again. I noticed, but I didn’t mind. On September 19, we had lunch together. I was sure he was interested, but I wasn’t ready for what he has to say. To cut the long story short, he laid down his intentions that day. Although I was feeling that he was up to something, I didn’t expect it to be that. In fact, I didn’t expect it to be that soon! That night I gave him permission to court me. But deep in my heart, I know I was just giving this guy a chance. And yes, I must admit, I was just curious. To be courted by a mature Christian man must be different and special. Not knowing that I was in for something grand.

The rest of September and the whole of October, there was very little progress with regards to my fondness of him. I enjoy his company so much, but to consider going beyond that was unthinkable. I was so close to turning him down in fact. But November came and things slowly changed for me. My mind and heart were telling me something else. I knew God was telling me something, but I kept on denying it. I was denying that I was now falling for him. I was denying that I am getting more fond of him. But God’s voice booms inside of me I can’t keep on turning away. And so, after much prayer and seeking counsel, on December 4, I finally said yes to him.

Our relationship was God-centered. He makes me feel special and loved and delighted upon. He makes me feel like a princess, like I’m the most beautiful woman in the world. For a first timer, he definitely knows how to be a boyfriend. I feel so protected, cared for and loved. There were times, though, that I don’t feel like reciprocating. There were times of doubt and fear and uncertainty. But then again, God’s peace sweeps over me like a river that on February 12, when Romy finally proposed, what came out of my mouth was what my heart speaks so loudly about… I said, “Yes. In Jesus’ Name.”

Peace, joy and love. Sweet romances, dreams coming true. It doesn’t only happen in movies and TV shows.

It can happen in real life.

It happened to me!

No comments: