Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Past Week's Learning

The past week had been quite stressful for us because my daughter had fever and cough. Only a parent will really really understand it when someone says "It's so hard if it's your child who's sick. If only I could feel ill instead of him."

Only when I became a mom did I understand that. But compared to what we went through in late April of this year, when my daughter had fever, cough, chest pains, tummy troubles and infection, this week's testing was bearable and manageable. We have stronger faith now and I was calmer. I knew that God is going to heal my daughter, and it is not because of how persistent my prayers are, (but of course we are called to pray without ceasing), but because God is a big God and He will never leave us nor forsake us.

Thank God because she only had continuous fever for about half a day, then it was only fatigue and the dry cough that hindered her from going to school. In my heart, I was okay with her not going to school even if it was her Unit Test week, because for me, health is more important than academic excellence or perfect attendance. I also wanted to let her know that how she feels is my priority, and not the pressures of school. Don't get me wrong, I am all for school and was a geek as a student, but perhaps, emotional and spiritual maturity have gotten into me and told me that I should know when to insist my child go to school and when not.

It feels good that I respected her decision to still not attend class on Tuesday (her second day of being absent) because I know it will help her rest more, we can spend more time bonding and a few hours of reviewing. I know that as much as I am teaching her the value of health, I am teaching myself not to sweat the small stuff in life as well.

No comments: