Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Financial Literacy the Fun Way

Financial literacy is something I learned the hard way. You see, it took me so long to actually know if the change I got from the canteen of my elementary school was correct. I remember when I was in Grade 2 and 3, I pretend to count the change, but really, I had no idea if I got the right amount or not.

Now that I'm a mom, this is something I want my daughter to learn and understand early on. Sadly, financial literacy is something most schools do not teach the students. That is why I am glad that Pru-Life came up with this project called Cha-Ching.

Developed by Prudential, CHA-CHING is a programme about six band members whose exciting adventures teach them about key money concepts: Earn, Save, Spend and Donate. Kids can learn how to make money-smart choices by watching the music videos on Cartoon Network or the Cha-Ching website - which also has games, apps and at home activities for the whole family.

My husband, who works for the Department of Education was the one who introduced us to this programme, as he is in close contact with the people behind this project. I am glad my daughter is enjoying the videos, though I have yet to go through the manual with her. But for a start, she is now familiar with the characters of the said programme.

Pepper is the shopaholic who constantly spends money. Zui is sensible and knows he needs to learn about saving to achieve his race car driver dream. Charity (my daughter's fave) is generous and is always looking for ways to help out hose in need. Justin is a natural entrepreneur and has lots of great ideas to make money. Bobby doesn't plan ahead financially and often spends all of his money while Prudence is a meticulous money-saver who learnt to save from her parents.

Prudential developed Cha-Ching inresponse to a growing need for financial literary education in Asia. Research showed that only 13% of parents in Asia think their children possess good money management skills but almost all consider thse skills important. Agree!

To know more about this genius project, go to

No comments: