Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Power of Music

Once again, I am reminded about something I've read before to not underestimate what kids can remember. You see, when my daughter went home a few weeks back and I learned about their upcoming unit test, I felt daunted by the number of pages she has to study in preparation for the said test. One of the subjects that stood out was Social Science, because there were just so much to memorize! I was doubtful if we'd be able to study, much more make her remember all the National Symbols.

But lo and behold, two days after, she came home singing a song with a melody I haven't heard before. I knew it was just a made-up tune by the teacher, in an effort to make memorizing for the students easier. And yes, indeed, it was effective. My 6 year old was able to memorize all the national symbols as well as the contributions made by our heroes, such as Andres Bonifacio, Gabriela Silang, Emilio Aguinaldo, Sultan Kudarat, among others.

I am thankful for the way the teacher used music to help the kids recall and enjoy the process of memorization. I am also amazed at how fast my daughter remembers and understands her lessons, making me decide to come up with tunes to make her Bible memory verses easier, too.

No comments: