Thursday, June 26, 2014

Checklist of Things to Buy for A New Baby

This was an article I wrote 6 years ago when I was preparing for the birth of my first baby.


The moment I realized I was pregnant, one of the things I was so excited to do was to shop for the baby. But it was only until I was 7 months pregnant that my husband and I made our first purchase for the baby – tie-side shirts. Being obsessed with lists, I asked family and friends for suggestions as to what to buy for the baby lest I get carried away and spend a fortune for things we don’t actually need.Here’s what I came up with:

Baby Book for records
Parenting Book (What to Expect the First Year)
Disposable Newborn Diapers – Prokids carry a line of newborn nappies
Cloth Diapers
Chino Pino - but ended up not using this at all
Rubber Mat for changing diapers/Changing Table
Diaper Rash Cream -Desitin
Petroleum Jelly
Cotton Balls
Cotton Buds
70% Isopropyl Alcohol
Baby Wipes
Diaper Pail
Receiving Blankets
Tie-side Shirts, Onesies - sleeveless, short-sleeved, long-sleeved
Sweaters
Pajamas
Shorts
Mittens and Booties – ties preferably, not garterized ones
Caps – my baby didn’t like wearing caps, though
C-Shaped Pillow – for support while breastfeeding the baby
Pillow cases
Bolster and extra bolster cases
Bedsheets, Comforter
Washcloths
Towels
Tub
Bathing Net
Hamper
Small Basin, Plastic Canisters, Small Basket/Carry-All
Dresser/Cabinet
Nursing Bra – believe me, it’s close to impossible to breastfeed with an ordinary bra!
Breastpump – used the Pigeon Electric Pump
Breastpad – also by Pigeon. But it can get very expensive especially if your breasts are full. Others suggest cut-out panty liners or cotton hankies.
Breastmilk Bottle Liners –by Playtex
Adult Diapers/Sanitary Pads –for the first few days after pregnancy as the flow tends to be really heavy!
Nipple Guard
Sterilizer -electric or stove top
Feeding Bottles –Avent can be very expensive but it’s worth it!
Bottle and Nipple Brush
Toys
DVDs, CDs
Baby Soap, Shampoo and Oil – we personally use Nivea and Johnson and Johnson’s.
Thermometer
Saline Nose Drops –Salinase
Nasal Aspirator – the old-fashioned, rubberized ones are more effective
Nail Clipper – by Safety 1st
Baby Brush and Comb –by Safety 1st
Night Light
Diaper Bag – the more compartments, the better.
Stroller/Umbroller – umbroller is more portable and a lot lighter.
Carseat – a must-have especially in the states.
Playpen/Crib/Bassinet –make sure you buy a really sturdy piece as babies can get really active once they’ve discovered what else they can do aside from lie in bed and sleep.
Rocker – though my baby only used this until she was 3 months old.
Baby Monitor – nice to have, but not necessary

No comments: