Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ignoring the Nanny

I know it's wrong. But I can't help it. I've been ignoring the nanny for a week now after learning that she's leaving in April for good. I know I've been a good employer, trying my best to be a friend and a semi-mother to her. We've helped her in so many ways, aside from regularly increasing her salary and giving her bonuses and gifts during special occassions. Whenever I go to the mall, i have something for her when I get back, like a cute pen, or a nice notebook, or a textbook on English, or a Filipino devotional. I could go on and on about the things we give and do for her because we like her and my daughter adores her. But then, I guess them nannies, and helpers do learn to move on easier than employers like me do. She seems unhurt, unfazed, unaffected at all. She in fact seems to be so looking forward to leaving and continuing her high school studies in her province. Despite the fact that I enrolled her in computer classes last month and paid for her full tuition in cash, she still opted to accept her older sister's offer to send her to public school in Leyte.

I'm trying to be nicer the past couple of days, trying to understand that it's her life and I can't control her. I just hope I get over this feeling of disappointment and betrayal. And most of all, that we'd be able to cope with or without a replacement. And that the replacement be far better, more reliable, more caring than this one. And that my daughter will be able to move on and be good friends with the new helper.

No comments: